Salsa Dance Instruction
If you've been salsa dancing for awhile and are looking for some new moves, or want to improve your style and technique, give me a call. If you're just beginning and don't know where to start, I can help. And if you've never done it, what are you waiting for? Salsa dancing affords you the opportunity to enjoy good music, good exercise, a safe social environment with good people, and it's just a heck of a lot of fun. So, get out there and enjoy yourself. You'll love it!
- Small group classes
- Salsa, Cumbia, Merengue and other styles
- Beginning to advanced
- Frame and posture
- Basic step and variations
- Technique of step and of movement
- Connection with partner eye contact, finger contact, mental and emotional
- Turns and cross-body leads
- Moves and combinations
- Dips and other cool ctuff
- Leading vs. following
- Balance, torque and body ergonomics
- Salsa music clave pattern, rhythms, etc.
- Styles, shines and styling
- Demeanor and etiquette
- Personal presentation and attire
- About other classes, instructors, dance clubs, etc.
I've been a music instructor for 30 years. And right up there with music is my love of dancing. Maybe it's because they go so well together. So, when I teach salsa dance, I'm in heaven, because I get the best of all three worlds: music, dance and teaching. And, I get to meet a lot of great people, as well.
My initiation into salsa dancing came in the late 1980's. I was performing keyboards in Monterey, California, with Orquesta Gitano, a 12-piece salsa band. As much as I enjoyed playing salsa music, I felt this strong urge to get out on the dance floor with everyone else.
Learning the dance came easy to me, perhaps because I knew the music so well, had a few years of experience in ballroom dance styles, and was a dance accompanist for over ten years ballet, jazz, modern, Israeli folk, African, samba and Middle Eastern. Or maybe, I just really enjoy it. Without a doubt, salsa dancing is my favorite dance form.
I have studied with over two dozen instructors, including:
- Dedelle Barbanti (Yemaya)
- Roberta Garcia (Yemaya)
- Alex da Silva
- Michelle Castro
- Ricardo Sanchez
- Angel Figueroa